Pages

Thursday, September 8, 2011

The elusive Burberry Trench...

Yes, Burberry changed their tags from Burberry's to Burberry sometime in the 90's.

I have heard of thrifters coming across Burberry Trench Coats......in New York...where people donate them and get new ones I guess....But until recently I thought the stories were fabrications to turn me green with envy....
That is until yesterday when I found one at my local Goodwill haunt. I didn't even yell or jump up and down in fear of having the $10.99 price tag revoked....I calmly purchased it along with a hula hoop, potato masher and an outdoor chair cushion. You know, it is like filling your basket up at the drug store to cover up "unmentionables" yeah, like that.
Oh, did I mention it is fully lined?

And it actually fits me perfectly? I know, what are the chances! Eeeeeeeeeee!

*Ok let's get to the downside....It kind of smells like "Off!" mosquito repellent. Let me just tell you that I have a bionic nose and can smell fingernail polish from 5 miles away....so there's that.

**Funny story....I dated this guy one summer in college. Every time we were together I would wonder aloud,..."Who is wearing Off!", "Hey why does it smell like Off?"...over and over....(slow learner here) Then I just thought dang this guy is seriously afraid of mosquitoes!! So then I'm at his house and he sprays on this cologne that smells exactly like...you guessed it Off!......There you have it....my weird nose makes cologne smell like Off! not a good smell if you ask me.

So I took it to the dry-cleaners and I had to pay $18.00 to get it cleaned. You know that I hate the dry cleaners but I didn't want to risk any "Off!" flashbacks! Oh and I didn't want to jack up my new Burberry coat by washing it myself.
ThriftyThurs Thrifty Thursday Week 39

16 comments:

  1. wooohooooo!!! What an amazing find! It's sure to make any chilly, rainy day much brighter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice find. I have a coat that needs a visit to the drycleaners. I hate taking them there too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Surely you jest. What an amazing find!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great find!!! Oh,, I'm thrilled for you! I wish I can come across one someday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a bionic nose too...it's a gift and a curse...last week I walked into a cafe and said "are you making french onion soup?" and they told me no they weren't, but they did...two days ago.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great find. I need to look in the clothing aisles more often, I've probably been missing out on some good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  7. great score! i thought we were gonna see a picture of you wearing your fabulous new find!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Terrific find at a great price!
    Kath

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great find!! I would have let out a loud squeal and given myself away to the entire store!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sooooo jealous!!!! Can I borrow it sometime?

    ReplyDelete
  11. *Giggle*, isn't it the best when we find a great deal!! I wrote an article not too long ago about second hand shopping. I'm the one that is waiting there while someone else holds the item up and if I like it, I am hoping that they put it back down so that I can nonchalantly pick it up and put it in my basket!! Cute post and congrats on the FANTASTIC purchase!!

    Lynn

    http://www.amothersthoughts.com/2010/01/second-hand-shopping/

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an amazing find! I can't believe it fits you! I serious think I would have started screaming!

    Lindsey Turner
    http://thriftandshout.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my goodness I am so jealous. What a fabulous find. Once my retail ban is done I am off to the thrift stores in the suburbs of Detroit to see what I can find. I know someone who finds all kinds of designer finds when she shops there:)

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  14. After I read this I have been stalking the Goodwill Stores in my area. I always check the trenches, and yesterday while I was going coat by coat day dreaming about that beautiful plaid lining out came a face from the other side of the rack asking me if I would like to have a dress she just found...Burberry London!!! Oh my goodness, it took every ounce of self control not to hug her. It is a belted military look and the condition and tags suggest that it is not very old. I paid 4.99 and the Burberry London label dresses seem to all be $850. Score! I had to share with you because I couldn't believe that you found a Burberry trench. My Goodwill dream has come true...

    Love your blog!
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  15. I found a Burberrys (before 1999) shearling coat at the Thrifty store in Edwards a few weeks ago for $22.00! It was half price day. You can't find anything if you don't show up. I also got a linen Faconnable XXL men's shirt in perfect condition for $3. I sent it to someone to cut up for pillows. Good find! Ann

    ReplyDelete