Pages

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Goodwill Glamour!


I saw this image of a beautifully distressed white table in Country Living Magazine. The funny thing is that it was "The Bargain Edition". According to the article it came from Pottery Barn, so I went online and looked it up.


Image from Pottery Barn
See this cute table? It will set you back $999.00. Is that a bargain? Ok, well it didn't set ME back $1,000.00. (My husband would have sent me back if it did.)

Or you could go to your nearest Goodwill and pick up a very similar table for $19.99. Both prices have lots of 9's in them, but going to Goodwill will save you $979.01.


I roughed up the top with 100 grit sandpaper. You are just taking the shine off of the top...don't go too crazy. Use a tack cloth to wipe up ALL of the dust.

I took out the leafs/leaves(?) because I wanted a round table. I kept them so I can always add them later. Open up the table and use a spray primer. I used a few light coats, drying each one in between. (It's a good time to fold laundry!)


Do all of the pieces and make sure you keep all of the nuts and screws together!!


I used antique white spray paint. I probably used 3 or 4 cans. I don't have a paint sprayer, so this was my best option! Then I realized that I should do the entire underside so it looks white all over AND under.




I distressed the edges by rolling the table through gravel. Easy. I used sandpaper to distress the legs and base. Once it was all distressed, I lightly sprayed white over most of it, so it will look like layers of paint.

All dressed up for an al fresco dessert. Ok, it looks like a table for one, but that is not the case! I plan on adding all different styles of chairs. Hmmm, I wonder where I can find mismatched chairs.....


AFTER

Not bad for $20.00 and a few cans of spray paint!!

(I could have Photoshopped the basketball hoop out of the photo
-but I might as well show you the real deal!)

The Lettered Cottage

Boogieboard Cottage
My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia Lulliloo Hand-Made Vintage Linky Party


IhookedupwithHoHlamespice

Transformation Thursday

20 comments:

  1. It's gorgeous, you did a fabulous job!
    Thanks for linking!
    XO
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a wonderful job, and I love the price!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what an awesome job!!!
    Deanna, I do not know if you accept awards on your blog but, I am passing one on to you anyway cuz I love your blog.

    'good bloggers pay it forward' is on my blog today if you will accept it. :)

    melody-mae.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for linking up to my blog and giveaway! Your table looks gorgeous and you must get so much more pleasure out of it when you can see your own work there (and let's face it, it's so much nicer when you know you didn't have to pay $1000 as well!) - Melissa x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that is a fabulous bargain! What a gorgeous table :) Stopped by from Lulliloo x

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're the best! I especially like the "I rolled the table through gravel" part. I'll have to remember that if I want to distress something. Ann

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your version is so much better than PB!!!
    I read in a book that the best way to distress wood it to beat it with an old bike chain...so I did...neighbors still think I'm weird!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good for you! It looks fabulous and you didn't have to drop $999. Love it! Coming over from Tuesdays Treasures and your newest follower!

    Jeanine

    ReplyDelete
  9. What in the world made you even think to roll it in gravel? You are soooo creative! Now sell it and make yourself the $979....

    Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  10. It was too heavy to move so I had to roll it through gravel to put it in my car! Instant distressing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like your table better! I can only hope I have the same luck you do finding the right piece at the right time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOVE this! brilliant idea on the gravel distessing technique :) I may have to borrow that idea someday! I found you through Tuesday's Treasures, and just wanted to invite you to my linky party, Transformations and Treasures- it's on Wednesdays!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've been dying to find a table like this @ GW so I can do the same!!! Love it

    ReplyDelete
  14. OH I love this -- what great legs she has! Haha! And rolling it through gravel?! Genius!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I absolutely love it!! I will keep my eyes open for something like that at my thrift store.
    http://suburbsmama.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. To be honest...I like your table better than the Pottery Barn one. Your legs (table legs that is, LOL) are gorgeous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love it! Great tablescape, too! It IS better than Pottery Barn, I agree.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! Didn't this turn out great. It is so pretty! And I love it in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love. It. seriously! I have some refinishing/painting/etc projects I want to tackle, but I'm scared as I've never done that before... you're inspiring me though...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Cracking up at the name of your blog... Love it!!

    Also, the table turned out fab. Great work.

    Allison @ House of Hepworths

    ReplyDelete